Do you have a Lemon Tree at home? Most of us in Arizona do, and if you have lemons this is the perfect bread to make. There is NO need to pay umpteen dollars for a slice at Starbucks when you can make a whole loaf for MUCH less at home.
Sprinkled with a tiny little bit of powdered sugar and it’s great with tea or coffee. Wrap up some pieces for your child’s lunch box too – we used LESS sugar than expected, and substituted whey for the buttermilk to make it extra moist.
- 1/4 C. Butter (NOT margarine!)
- 3/4 C. Whey (or, you can use Buttermilk)
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Zest (the more the better!)
- 6 drops Lemon Essential Oil (this is not required)
- 3/4 C. Sugar
- 1 3/4 C. Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Mix the Butter, Egg, Lemon Juice, Zest, Sugar, and Whey on high with the blender until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 8x4 Loaf Pan and bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes until done.
- The bread won't rise too much - but the top will brown quite fast so keep an eye on the loaf.
- Loaf is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on the baking rack for 15 -20 minutes before removing from the loaf pan.
The Lemon Essential Oil is not required in the recipe but used out of personal choice. Though we love incorporating them in our baking. We use Young Living and wouldn’t recommend anything else. Read more here.