Check out this basic recipe & tutorial for making your own Easy Homemade Sugar Scrub Bars – if you like our previous Essential Oil posts you will love doing this one, too!
With just a few simple ingredients, you can make these Sugar Scrub Bars – for yourself or even for gifts.
Just a few months ago we made Homemade Lotion Bars with Essential Oils that were a HIT with family and also teachers around Valentine’s Day. We used the same Silicone Heart Mold (we love hearts!) and it worked great.
Not only are these bars great to make for yourself, they double as amazing gifts too – you could wrap them up in small gift bags and tie with some gorgeous ribbon with a homemade label for teachers.
This recipe below made 12 of the Sugar Scrub Bars with our Heart Silicone Mold.
Homemade Sugar Scrub Bars
- 1/4 C. Coconut Oil (we use this)
- 1/2 C. melt Melt & Pour Soap Base (we used Shea but you could use Goat’s Milk, too)
- 1 C. Sugar
- Silicone Mold
- Mica Colorant (this is optional!)
- 15-20 drops Essential Oil (we use Young Living’s Lavender)
- Wilton Heart Silicone Mold
Here’s our tip – if you opt to use Goat’s Milk, use a coupon & buy at Michael’s … you’ll score it for much less. If you want to use Shea like we did, then picking up on Amazon is your best option.
- In a Pyrex Glass Cup in the microwave, melt your 1/2 C. Melt & Pour Soap Base – you can do this in blocks (ours came in blocks) or, you can cube or shred it. Use 15 second increments to melt and keep an eye on it – once it’s melted pull out from the microwave.
- Mix in the coconut oil until combined – add the sugar, and stir well.
- Mix in your mica colorant until well combined – it should be slushy (pourable) – if it hardens up, then pop back in the microwave for 10 second intervals until it thins out.
- Pour into your molds (NO greasing required if you use silicone) and let sit for up to 2 hours until dry.
Extra tip: We love using Shea because it’s great for the skin – but if you want the scrub bars to be extra moisturizing add a Tablespoon of Vegetable Glycerin to the recipe. It’s a great moisturizer!
Read our last post to learn WHY we love our Essential Oils so much, and why we chose Young Living.
Thankfully Young Living makes it incredibly easy to score a wholesale discount on your oils – when you pick up their starter kit you get ALL of those oils above, and a diffuser – not to mention the opportunity to buy your oils at wholesale cost for the REST of your life.