Gramma’s Sweet Milk Cookies are old-fashioned goodness! Simple pantry ingredients come together quickly to make these simple cookies that are sweet and rich in flavor!
If there’s one thing that rings true, it’s that I always have that “one” go-to cookie recipe that I keep on the ready for when I have to make cookies in a pinch…
- Whether that be for Sunday School…
- People who drop in unexpectedly …
Or, those times when the kids tell me [at the last minute] “Mom, I told them that you would bring cookies!”
Sigh… there’s always that one child – right?
Gramma’s Sweet Milk Cookies
These cookies are heaven!
I think we all have memories from when we were kids of those sweet, yummy cookies that gramma made – the ones that made the entire house smell like goodness.
And the ones that literally melted in your mouth!
These are about as close to sugar cookies as you can get – except, they’re not.
They’re sweet milk cookies and they have one secret ingredient: 3/4 C. sweetened condensed milk.
They are the PERFECT fit when you want that soft, chewy, melt in your mouth cookie. And the best part is that they are completely adaptable!
Here are some tips for making the best Sweet Milk Cookies:
- Butter makes these cookies very rich and melt-in-your-mouth. However, feel free to substitute shortening, or half butter/half margarine. I have (on occasion) used lard and even tallow in these cookies with amazing success!
- Nutmeg gives these cookies a unique flavor. But if you don’t like nutmeg, then add a little extra cinnamon!
- Instead of vanilla extract, give them a smidge of almond flavor by using almond extract.
- Instead of rolling into balls and dipping in sugar prior to baking, you can roll out the dough to 1/4″ thick and use cookie cutters for a more precise cookie.
If I’m in a pinch for time, I roll the dough into balls and then dip them in a cinnamon sugar mixture. Then I place them on a baking sheet and flatten slightly with the bottom of a cup. The rest of the “spreading” happens in the oven.
One Last Tip!
These cookies overcook SO easily! Take care to remove from the oven just as the edges start to turn brown (around the ten minute mark!) – they will finish cooking on the cookie sheet.
If you love these cookies, check out the bottom of this post for more yummy ideas!
Gramma's Sweet Milk Cookies
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 3/4 C sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 C butter can substitute shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 C all purpose flour
For rolling cookies prior to baking:
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment or foil. Or, alternatively, use baking mats. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream the egg, sugar, condensed milk and butter (or, shortening) until fluffy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix at medium speed just until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Roll cookie dough into 2" balls. Roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2" apart on baking tray. Flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass. (Alternatively: for cut-out cookies, roll dough out to 1/4" thick and cut with cookie cutters).
- Bake 10 minutes - just until the edges start to turn a very light brown. Remove from the oven and cool prior to eating.
- Store cooled cookies in a covered container at room temperature and eat within 2-3 days.
Did you try this recipe? If you did, please take a second to rate the recipe and leave a comment as I’d love to know how it turned out.
I’d ask you to tag me on social media but I gave up social media several years ago. It was the best thing I ever did. I still love to read comments and hear from you though – so don’t be afraid to leave comments on this post as I do take the time to read and respond when I can.
Looking for more cookie recipes? Try any of these!