Chewy, crispy Chocolate Scotcheroos are spread with chocolate and butterscotch for a new family favorite treat that are sinfully addictive!
Everyone loves that one dessert that you can whip up easily and bring to a party. It’s usually indulgent.. rich in flavor, chocolate, perhaps lots of peanut butter.
These Chocolate Scotcheroos are my favorite thing to make at the holiday. Forget the fact that they are addictive… They always leave people asking for the recipe and of course, how can I resist?
I’m always kind enough to point them in the direction of an amazing blogger I know that has all kinds of fun recipes. 😉 Next to these delicious tamales they are super popular at potlucks and around the dinner table.
Grab a box of Corn Chex and whip up these bars in no time. They are made with corn syrup – however, if you have hesitations about corn syrup you can always use a 1:1 substitute:
- light molasses
- pure maple syrup
- agave nectar
Big Bars or Little Bars
Once you throw these bars together, give them ample time to come to room temperature to harden up before cutting them. You can tuck them in the fridge if you are in a hurry. Just make sure you pull them out and allow yourself time for them to come back down to room temp before slicing into bars.
- Big bars.
- Or little bars
Go wild – they are so sinfully addictive!
Chocolate scotcheroos are easy to put together with just a few simple ingredients. Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.
Combine the granulated sugar and corn syrup in a small pan on the stove and heat until boiling. Immediately remove from the heat and add the peanut butter. Once combined, stir in the Chex and press into the pan.
Heat the peanut butter and chocolate chips at 30 second intervals in the microwave until melted. Be sure to stir frequently. Once melted, pour them over the top of the bars and allow to harden at room temperature.
If you are short on time, toss in the fridge to speed up the process. Remove from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature before cutting into bars.
Did you make these bars? If you did, let us know how they turned out! They are the perfect bar to bring to potlucks and parties!
- 1 C corn Chex
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 C light corn syrup or see alternatives, in notes below
- 1.5 C peanut butter
- 1 C butterscotch chips
- 1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Spray a large mixing bowl and a 9x13” pan with a non-stock cooking spray.
- Add 6 cups of Chex to the mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a large pot on the stove, add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of light corn syrup and mix.
- Bring your mixture to a boil, take off of heat and mix in 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter. Immediately pour the peanut butter mixture over the Chex and quickly mix.
- Pour into the baking pan and lightly press down into the pan evenly.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, mix together 1 cup of butterscotch chips with 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Heat the chips for 4-5 minutes on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Pour the chocolate over the Chex and spread evenly. Let the chocolate harden at room temperature and cut into bars.
If you try this recipe and love it, make sure to rate the recipe and tag us on Facebook to let us know how it turned out!