Throw together this Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup with pantry staples, and few additional items – it’s really very easy!
You can use Red or Green Enchilada Sauce – I would suggest red … though we had a pickle of a time finding a can of “Red”. I have 2 smaller children that love taking labels off cans in the pantry and they took the labels off every, single, can…
7 cans later (ha!) I decided to give up and use green and it quite honestly turned out just as super! Instead of being a rich red soup it was a creamy orange… which still tasted great.
The soup made enough for leftovers the next day.
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil or Olive Oil
- 1 Red or Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 can Red Enchilada Sauce (or, Green)
- 1 can Organic Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Philadelphia Cream Cheese, 8 oz Block
- 1 C. Chicken Broth
- 1-2 Chicken Breasts, Cooked & Diced
- 1/2. C. Shredded Cheese
- 1-2 Green Onions, diced (topping)
- Optional: Avocado
- If you are starting with Frozen Chicken Breasts, place in the Instant Pot with 1/2 C. Water.
- Put on lid, set Manual for 15 minutes.
- Quick release, remove chicken and dice.
- Put Stainless Steel Bowl back in the Instant Pot.
- Add Coconut or Olive Oil and Pepper, Onion and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Push OFF on saute mode.
- Add Diced Tomatoes, Chicken Broth, Cream Cheese and Enchilada Sauce.
- Place Instant Pot on "Soup" and let the ingredients come together for 8-10 minutes (this does not mean puree - it means allow the cream cheese to melt into the other ingredients).
- Once the cream cheese has worked itself down into the liquid, give it a stir so that the ingredients are mixed as one, and add chicken.
- Add 1/2 C. Shredded Cheese and allow to melt.
- Let thicken slightly (don't cover with Instant Pot lid) - you don't want it to thicken too much or the cream cheese will curdle.
- Ladle into bowls, top with shredded cheese, diced green onions and/or avocado.
- If you are using Green Enchilada Sauce, the soup will result in a lighter, creamier color. When using Red, the soup will produce a rich, creamy red color.
Do you have an Instant Pot? It has been the most worthwhile purchase we have made for our kitchen…