Take garden fresh carrots to a new level with this Curried Carrot Ginger Soup, made quickly and easily in the Instant Pot!
There is no doubt that carrots are a popular garden item. If you don’t grow them at home, you might get them at the farmers market orr even pick them up at Costco. They sell quite a 10 lb bag for right near $6.00.
They are a great way to keep the crisper drawer in the fridge full for the kids. Lets not forget that they are also wonderful when pureed and turned into dinner rolls. Yum! 😋
I’m not sure if it’s just my kids, but my girls ❤️ carrots. They don’t necessarily even care if they are peeled and cut. They pull them out and eat them as if they are candy bars.
(You know, I really wish I had that type of imagination!)
My 2 year old is very familiar with opening the fridge on her own – and right now she can only reach the bottom shelves. Because the crisper drawer is down there, she is usually in there digging stuff out.
It’s not unusual to find a trail of half eaten carrots around our house. It’s not even unusual to find a head of broccoli sitting in the middle of the floor somewhere (she can’t reach counters..)
All I can say is that I have one particular person to thank for her love of carrots. It all started with Harry the Bunny. Who knew that a cartoon character could have such a great influence on her ;)
Curried Carrot Ginger Soup
If you have too many carrots to use up, this is a great way to do that. Our 8 year old thinks that the soup smells amazing when it’s cooking. Our 11 year old thinks it’s absolutely horrific that she has to wait ten minutes for it to cook (who knew?!)
To make this wonderful soup, use your Instant Pot to saute some garlic and onion in a little butter for a few minutes. Then, add your carrots, curry and one cup of the broth.
Cook on manual (high pressure) for 8 minutes, then quick release. Use your immersion blender to blend the mixture, taking care to add the rest of your broth. Add your ginger, salt and lemon, and serve warm. This soup is beautiful when accompanied by a generous loaf of french bread or brown molasses rolls.
Checkout more over 100 deliciously yummy Instant Pot recipes – from soups, to tamales, sides, cheesecake and more!
- 9 carrots, roughly peeled and ends chopped off, cut into large pieces (to steam)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 C. vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp salt or more depending on taste
- (Optional instead of lemon and ginger: 2 drops ginger vitality essential oil & 3 drops lemon vitality essential oil)
- Optional: fresh basil, sour cream and crusty bread
- Put the butter, garlic, and onion in the Instant Pot, and turn on Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots, curry and 1 C. of the broth.
- Push Manual and put the lid on for 8 minutes; allow the pot to come to pressure, once it is done cooking do a quick release.
- Use the immersion blender (or, pour into a regular blender) and blend until smooth, adding the rest of the broth called for in the ingredients.
- Pour back into the Instant Pot and add the ginger, lemon and salt to taste.
- Serve warm with basil, and drizzled sour cream, alongside a loaf of french bread.