Sink your teeth into this twist on traditional Italian lasagna. This cheesy Mexican Lasagna brings together all of your favorite Tex-Mex flavors!
Who doesn’t love a hot plate of cheesy lasagna, layered extra high and sprinkled with fresh mozzarella? Buca di Beppo has always been a wonderful place to grab lasagna, theirs is absolutely amazing!
(But going there with 5 kids isn’t in the plans!)
This lasagna is a twist on that traditional classic. It’s not an Italian dish, but a Mexican Lasagna made with your favorite corn tortillas, refried beans and enchilada sauce.
Mi Ranchito makes some of our favorite organic corn tortillas (available at Whole Foods). They have taco sliders (18 ct) and a regular size corn tortilla (12 ct) that are incredibly affordable.
Let’s talk about refried beans – they are such a staple in our Mexican household! They can be made easily in the Instant Pot. But if you aren’t up for making your own, just grab a few cans at the market.
Cheesy Mexican Lasagna (Gluten-Free)
Grab your favorite refried beans and enchilada sauce (homemade or canned). Use a glass baking dish and once done, top with fresh, shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes.
This cheesy Mexican Lasagna will be a hit with your kids, and will likely become part of your regular dinner rotation!
Mexican Lasagna (Gluten-Free)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 16 oz can refried beans or 2 C. prepared refried beans
- 15 oz can enchilada sauce or 2 1/3 cups homemade
- 2 C shredded cheese
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 1 onion diced
- 18 corn tortillas cut in half
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1/2 C guacamole
- 1/2 C salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook diced onion and brown ground beef.
- Drain off excess grease, then stir in contents of taco seasoning packet. Set aside.
- In a 9x13 casserole dish, spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce evenly on the bottom.
- Layer tortilla halves, so straight edges line up along the outer edge of the dish. Continue layering to fill any gaps (it’s ok if there is some overlap).
- Continue layering the lasagna in the following order (saving enough of each ingredient to form a second layer): refried beans, enchilada sauce, beef and onion mixture, shredded cheese and diced tomatoes. You may then sprinkle on fresh cilantro and/or black olives if you wish before starting the next layer.
- With the second half of ingredients, start the next layer as follows: tortillas, refried beans, enchilada sauce, beef and onion mixture, shredded cheese and diced tomatoes (optional fresh cilantro and/or black olives).
- Top with a final layer that includes tortillas, a light layer of enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is melted and tortillas have slightly crisped.
- Allow lasagna to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your choice of toppings: sour cream, guacamole, salsa fresh cilantro, shredded lettuce, fresh tomatoes, etc.
If you try this recipe and love it, make sure to rate the recipe and tag us on Facebook to let us know how it turned out!