Broccoli is pretty popular around our house and doesn’t seem to last too long ~ the kids love it steamed, and our smallest like to eat it raw straight from the fridge.
While we usually use our Broccoli for soup, this casserole was no doubt a hit ~ everyone loved it and it was a great way to use up our gallon of raw milk to help us make more room in the fridge.
- 6 C. fresh broccoli, cut into florets and discard the stems
- 1/3 C. butter
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 C. shredded cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 C. milk, preferably full fat (we used raw)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously grease a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside.
- Put your broccoli in a steamer over 2 inches of boiling water and cover. Cook until tender, 3-6 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Melt your butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and add your flour. Whisk the flour with the butter to create a paste. Stir in the onion and milk - continue to stir as the mixture comes to a boil to ensure that there aren't any lumps.
- Remove from the heat once the mixture is thick, and season with salt/pepper (to taste).
- Stir in the cheese, and slowly add the beaten eggs, ensuring that you stir constantly to avoid them cooking into the mixture.
- Combine the broccoli with the cheesy milk mixture and transfer to a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.