Delicious Instant Pot (pressure cooker) Teriyaki Chicken that’s gluten-free, paleo and simple to whip together on a busy weeknight!
One of my favorite take-out meals is teriyaki chicken. I love being able to swing by my favorite take-out restaurant and bring home a huge to-go box. As much as I love doing that, it’s also quite an expensive habit because everyone else wants to have some too …
Before you know it, you have accumulated a bill of $40- $60 + just feeding a few hungry bellies. Growing kids – I tell ya’! I can’t be the only parent with kids that seem to be able to eat endless plates of food!
Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) Teriyaki Chicken
This teriyaki chicken gets its flavor from fresh garlic, a little cayenne pepper, and fresh ginger, combined with my favorite soy-sauce substitute – coconut aminos. Because coconut aminos are already very sweet, there isn’t any need to add any extra sugar, making this dish paleo friendly and soy-free (also gluten-free, too!)
To help enhance the flavor, use a little toasted sesame oil and saute the chicken for a few minutes on each side along with the onions and garlic. Once they are lightly browned, throw the lid on the pressure cooker to allow them to finish.
All in all, this Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken is a really simple, family friendly dish that’s not only simple to make, but perfect paired with steamed rice (or, even cauliflower rice if you are paleo).
The finished product is delicious and I certainly hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken (Paleo friendly)
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 lb chicken drumsticks thighs or breasts
- 3 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 Tbsp ginger grated
- 1/2 onion sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/3 C. coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- optional: sliced scallions or finely chopped parsley
- Season the chicken well with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper; add the avocado or olive oil to the Instant Pot on the saute setting.
- Add the garlic, ginger, sliced onion, avocado oil or olive oil and drumsticks to the Instant Pot and saute on each side, about 5-7 minutes. Turn the saute feature off and add the sesame oil and coconut aminos and cover once with the lid. Lock the lid and pressure cook on high, for 6 minutes.
- After the cycle is complete, quick release and carefully remove the lid; turn the pot back on the saute setting and allow any remaining sauce to come to a boil and reduce it until it's dark brown and has thickened, about 5-7 additional minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and sprinkle with parsley (or, scallions as well) and serve alongside rice or cauliflower rice.
Looking for more easy chicken recipes to whip up in your Instant Pot? We’ve rounded up some of our family favorite Instant Pot (pressure cooker) chicken recipes that are a cinch to make.
Follow us on Pinterest for more creative Instant Pot recipes to add to your dinner rotation – from breakfasts to deserts and everything in-between!