It’s pretty amazing when I make something for dinner and every single person in the house gobbles it up.
Last night I made this Instant Pot Picadillo from Skinny Taste and it was SO amazing. If you have an Instant Pot, that’s great – but if you don’t, you can easily make it on the stovetop too.
We made a few changes to the recipe, added a few extra spices and doubled the onion because we absolutely LOVE onion. Instead of using bell peppers I cut up a pound of mini peppers that we had in the fridge that were yellow, red and orange.
Colors make my kids go wild at the dinner table … the more colorful the dinner the more they are apt to eat it.
The original recipe called for 2 Tbsp of Cilantro ~ we doubled that because I could literally bathe in cilantro I love it that much. In addition to cumin, we added garam marsala, and paprika along with a little homemade chili powder. Yum!
By dicing our olives very very fine, nobody noticed they were even hiding in there ~ the truth is, I think the kids were distracted by the colors of the peppers & never noticed anything else.
Feel free to use ground turkey in lieu of ground beef, and serve it with a side of rice and avocados and it’s an incredibly filling meal.
Add this to your Instant Pot recipe rotation and then bookmark over 50 additional recipes for your Instant Pot that you can try, too!
Instant Pot Picadillo
- 1 - 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped or, 1 lb sweet mini peppers, diced
- 4 Tbsp cilantro
- 1 to mato finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garam marsala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 Tbsp green olives or capers finely chopped + juice
- 3 oz of tomato sauce
- 2 oz water
- Using the saute feature, combine the meat and season with pepper, salt, garam marsala, paprika, chili powder and cumin.
- Use your spoon to break up the meat into small pieces and saute until it's no longer pink.
- Add in the onion, garlic, pepper, 1/2 of the cilantro, and tomato and saute in with the beef approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the bay leaf, tomato sauce and water and mix well.
- Cover with the lid, and seal the valve - push manual (high) and set the Instant Pot for 5 minutes. Use a quick release and stir in the remaining cilantro.
- Enjoy with rice.