An easy Instant Pot Mexican shredded chicken that’s full of flavor and perfect to have on hand for shredded tacos, burritos, tostadas and more.
Why Mexican Shredded Chicken?
Having the ability to whip out some delicious Mexican shredded chicken to have on hand for tacos, burritos and even enchiladas is crazy convenient.. especially if you have kids and you are trying to save money.
If you have an Instant Pot or, even a Crock Pot, you can make that happen by dumping a few simple ingredients together and pushing a button or two. Allright.. you *might* have to do a little shredding at the end…. but there is nothing better than being able to make a filling meal at home. Especially if that means not having to drag the family out to spend a wad of cash.
Because face it, it’s not cheap to eat out.
This easy Mexican shredded chicken recipe can be made from frozen or thawed chicken in 30 minutes or less – enjoy it with tortilla sliders or in your favorite burrito or enchilada recipe.
If you have an Instant Pot, check out over 100 deliciously Yummy Instant Pot Recipes – everything from Mexican to meatless, desserts and more. Or find us on Pinterest, where we share over one thousand Instant Pot recipes that will turn you into a chef in your own kitchen.
*If you are using a crock pot, simply add all of the ingredients and set the pot for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low heat. Shred with two forks and give it a stir to incorporate all of the ingredients before adding more or less salt, to taste.
An easy Instant Pot Mexican shredded chicken that's full of flavor and perfect to have on hand for shredded tacos, burritos, tostadas and more.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (frozen or thawed)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 C. chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 C. cilantro, chopped
- In your Instant Pot, add the oil, chicken, garlic, onion, black pepper, cumin, marjoram, chili powder, tomato sauce, and roma tomatoes.
- Pour over the chicken broth.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and close the valve. Set the timer for 28 minutes (if using frozen chicken), and 18 minutes (for thawed chicken).
- After the pot beeps finished, quick release and shred the chicken with two forks and return to the pot.
- Add salt (to taste).
- Serve in corn tortillas, burritos or tostadas and garnish with cilantro.
We topped ours with just a tiny bit of cheese, too (completely optional!)
Looking for a different shredded chicken recipe? Here is another you may want to try:
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
[…] Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Chicken&nbsp;– The Cents’Able Shoppin&nbsp; […]