Homemade mac & cheese is one of my kids FAVORITE things to eat! It’s SO terribly easy to make, too!
- 8-10 oz. Dry Elbow Macaroni
- 1/4 C. Butter (1/2 Stick) - NOT Margarine!
- 2 1/2 C. Whole Milk
- 4 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 Bags of Shredded Cheese - Sharp Cheddar & a Blend work GREAT together
- Breadcrumbs for the Top
- Salt, 1 - 2 tsp - to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350, and grease a 9x13 Baking Dish. I used a Pyrex that was SMALLER and deeper because it works better for us.
- Turn the stove on low and in a saucepan, melt the 1/4 C. Butter
- Add the 4 Tbsp Flour and use a fork to blend well with the butter to make a thick paste
- Add the 2 1/2 C. Milk - we prefer using MORE milk for a creamier macaroni
- Stir frequently and the mixture should thicken up quite fast - stir often to ensure the lumps stay out of the mixture
- While you are doing the sauce, cook the macaroni al dente - drain
- In the sauce mixture, add BOTH bags of shredded cheese - we used Sharp Cheddar AND a Taco Blend (one of each)
- As the cheese gradually melts, stir often
- Once melted, turn the stove off, and stir in the macaroni
- Blend together well & add desired salt --- to taste
- Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown
- To save on bread crumbs, we keep the ends from our Organic Bread in a Hefty One Zip - every week, we throw them in the food processor to make bread crumbs, that we can use for Meatballs and Macaroni & Cheese without having to purchase in store.
I can guarantee this won’t last long at your home – it’s GREAT right out of the oven, and even better the next day for leftovers!
Do you make your own Macaroni & Cheese? We’d love to hear about your experience should you choose to make ours!