Having a great go-to potato soup recipe is almost as essential as having a crock pot or instant pot in your home.
You NEED that – not just for comfort food but also for those nights that you can’t seem to get anything organized, and you can’t get the kids to calm down, everyone is hungry and the idea of going out to eat is just impossible and would be too damaging for your budget.
That’s basically how this potato soup came to fruition – not just that, but potatoes are just a likable food around here.
You can bake them, mash them, puree them, or combine them with a little ground beef and dump ketchup over them and they still taste amazing.
Did I say ketchup? That would be my kids – everything tastes good when you dump ketchup on it. Right? ;)
The instant pot just makes everything doable though – would you agree? If you don’t have that appliance or haven’t considered it, you might want to rethink the possibility of getting one.
Sure, a slow cooker works wonderfully, but what if you could cook the same food in a fraction of the time? Then yes.. you need one.
This recipe was basically dump and go – even better if you have an immersion blender. I’m still using the old fashioned blender – except for having one more thing to clean up, it really does work just fine. Make it a meatless soup by skipping the bacon and using extra green onions and sour cream.
Oh.. and don’t worry about pulling out the canning jars to refrigerate the leftovers because you simply won’t have anything left “to” leftover. It’s just really that yummy. ;)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs organic yukon gold potatoes, peeled & cut into small chunks
- 1 quart veggie broth broth
- 1/2 C. half and half
- 1/2 C. milk, full fat (we used raw)
- 1/2 - 3/4 C. shredded monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon (optional)
- 2 tsp kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or more to taste
- Garnish with green onion, sour cream, or bacon.
- Using the saute feature on the Instant Pot, add the butter and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes and broth.
- Place the cover on the Instant Pot, and close the valve. Set the timer for manual (high) for 6 minutes.
- While the soup is in the pot, cook your bacon (microwave or stove) and drain the fat. Crumble into pieces, place in a dish and set aside.
- Once the pot beeps, allow the pressure to release for 10 minutes naturally. Once passed, release any remaining pressure.
- Use your immersion blender to blend until smooth - or blend in batches using your blender. If you prefer a chunkier soup, blend half and leave half unblended so as to keep some of the diced potatoes there.
- Once blended, add the milk, half & half and cheese and mix well.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste and ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with green onion, bacon, sour cream and more shredded cheese.
- You may use chicken broth in lieu of vegetable broth. For a creamer soup, sub heavy cream for the half and half.
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes?
Find an ever-growing list of over 50 Instant Pot Recipes that we rounded up here – from Tamales to Yogurt, Steel Cut Oats, Pasta, Beans & more.
Follow us on Pinterest HERE and HERE for more Instant Pot inspiration!