King Ranch Chicken Casserole combines pantry staples and shredded cheese for a deliciously creamy, flavorful casserole that everyone will love!
King Ranch Chicken. If I could share one, just one memory of my childhood, it would be this delicious casserole. When I was a small kid, we attended a quaint little church out in the country. Think about this — you grow up, in a town of just under 500 people. This little white church was located on a windy country road, about seven miles out of town.
The church is where my great grandpa and his family are all buried. It is where I started attending church as a young child…it is where I got baptized, and it is where my mom gathered with the church ladies making casseroles for get togethers.
King Ranch Chicken was that casserole. The one that everyone loved…
The one that ALWAYS ran out before anything else….
And the one I find myself making now for my own kiddos at home. It is, by far, the only casserole that they will all eat without disagreement. It is better than delicious – it’s KID approved.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
This casserole comes together very easily with simple ingredients that can be found in most pantries:
- diced tomatoes with green chiles (what we know as Rotel)…
- flour tortillas (can also use tortilla chips, or even corn tortillas)
- condensed soups – chicken and mushroom
- shredded cheese
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id="xDmi19v2" upload-date="2022-08-01T20:29:16.000Z" name="King Ranch Chicken casserole PLR Horizontal.mp4" description="null" player-type="default" override-embed="default"]
Tips for Making the Best King Ranch Chicken Casserole
King Ranch Chicken Casserole is SO simple to make. But with a few extra measures, you can have the ultimate, the best, and the most delicious results every time you make this for your family.
- Diced tomatoes with green chiles – Rotel works best. If you can’t find Rotel in your area, then feel free to use diced tomatoes with mild green chiles. You can typically find them in the same aisle as the regular canned tomatoes.
- Shredded cheese – bagged cheese is easy peasy. But for even more flavor, shred your own favorite block cheese. Sharp cheddar adds even more robust flavor. Or go a step above and combine two different varieties of cheese (mozzarella and sharp cheddar).
- Grease the baking dish liberally – it will make your job of washing the dish much easier later on.
- Chicken is the main star of this recipe. Feel free to use rotisserie chicken, canned chunk chicken, diced chicken breast, or leftover chicken from a previous meal.
- Double the recipe and freeze one for later. Because the tortillas will get a bit more soft, you’ll want to char the tortillas before making the casserole. Wrap well (plastic wrap, then foil). Then, freeze the unbaked casserole for up to 3 months.
What to Serve with King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Did you make this yummy casserole? If you did, please rate the recipe and leave a comment. I’d love to know if you made any changes, and how it turned out for you!
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 C red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 C yellow onion chopped
- 3 C shredded cheese preferably cheddar
- 2 C chicken breast cooked, chopped
- 1 can cream of chicken soup 10.75 oz
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup 10.75 oz
- 1 can diced tomatoes and chiles, undrained preferably Rotel
- 6 flour tortillas 12" in diameter, cut into bite-size pieces
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray 13x9" casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add the peppers and onions; sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent .
- Add chicken and mushroom soups, diced tomatoes, and chicken to the pan with peppers and onions. Gently mix together.
- Add 1/3 of the tortilla to the bottom of the casserole dish. Follow with 1/3 of the soup mixture, then top with 1 C. of shredded cheese. Repeat with two additional layers (1/3 tortillas + 1/3 soup mixture each time, plus 1 C. shredded cheese).
- Bake uncovered, for 30-45 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and cheese is completely melted.
- Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes to cool before serving.