Deliciously spicy, Hatch chile chicken cooked up quickly and easily in the Instant Pot, perfect to top over rice for a delicious dinner!
Ask any busy family what they might love. I’m fairly certain we could all agree that a quick, easy dinner is key. A dinner that doesn’t take long, drawn out steps to make. Something that can reheat well in a pinch and double up as a lunch for work the following day.
Combine that with a love for Hatch chiles and this recipe is a match made in heaven.
If you’ve ever had Hatch chiles you’ll probably agree that they are definitely a surprise. Sometimes they are mild, others not so much at all.
You can visit the Hatch Chile Festival in New Mexico every September to buy fresh chiles. Or, order online direct to your home. Or visit your local Arizona market to get roasted hatch chiles periodically (usually weekends) when they are in season.
Bring the bag home, throw on some gloves and get busy in the kitchen. Make up this easy Hatch Green Chile Sauce that you can store in canning jars and toss in the freezer.
Use that sauce as the base for many things… Posole Verde, enchiladas, and this incredible Instant Pot Hatch Chile Chicken. If you like spicy, this is definitely going to be something you’ll love!
Instant Pot Hatch Chile Chicken
Whipping up this recipe is rather easy. We relied on our Hatch Green Chile sauce that freezes beautifully. Paired that with garlic, onions, chicken, and spices to create quite a spicy twist.
To get started, saute your garlic, onions, and chicken in a little olive oil in your Instant Pot using the saute function. Once the chicken starts to brown and the onions are clear, add your cumin, pepper, and green chile sauce.
Add 1/4 C of chicken stock, and place the lid on the Instant Pot. Seal the valve.
Push manual (pressure cook) and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. At the completion of the cooking cycle, do a quick release & shred the chicken. Add your salt, more or less to taste, and throw in some cilantro and serve on top of a bed of rice.
Not hot enough?
Kick it up a notch. Add more broth or Hatch green chiles depending on your tolerance. I like to aim for 3/4 C sauce per breast and it serves 3 quite nicely.
However, this dish isn’t for the weak at heart! Even the most mild of Hatch chiles have some kick.
Instant Pot Hatch Green Chile Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 C [Hatch green chile saucehttps://www.rebootedmom.com/2018/02/15/traditional-new-mexico-green-chile-sauce/] prepared
- 1/4 C chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In your clean Instant Pot, add the oil, chicken, garlic and cumin and saute until lightly brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off the saute feature and add your green chile sauce, making sure to mix it in well with the chicken. Pour in your chicken stock, and place the lid on the Instant Pot.
- Push the manual (pressure cook) function and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Do a quick release and carefully shred the chicken within - it should shred easily.
- At this time, determine, add more green chile, if desired, as well as salt and pepper (to taste). Serve over a bed of rice.
What’s your favorite way to use Hatch chiles? Have you ever been to the Hatch Chile festival?
Try this delicious chicken in your Instant Pot & tag us on Facebook to let us know how it turned out!