We’re huge fans of soup in our house – and since we’re a rather large Hispanic family, we have a few favorites that we tend to lean towards when it comes to making huge pots for the family.
Meatball Soup (known as Abondigas) can be made many different ways. Over the last 15 years, and eating at various places – restaurants in California, Arizona and also in Mexico, it’s really fun to see the variations on some of the most popular recipes.
There is no right or wrong way to make the soup – we made it for 10 of us and it was well enjoyed – so much there wasn’t any left over.
- 1 - 1/2 lb Ground Beef
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Diced Onion
- 1 Finely Diced Tomato
- 1 C. Cooked Rice
- Seasoning (Salt, Chile Powder, Cumin)
- 8 oz. Tomato Sauce
- 1 heavy spoon of Knorr Caldo de Tomate (alternatively you can use Caldo de Pollo)
- 1/2 Onion, Sliced
- Cilantro to taste
- Optional: Zucchini, Carrots
- Fill a 5-6 qt Dutch Oven to the halfway point with water, and place on the stove on medium heat.
- Pour in the 8 oz can of tomato sauce (I use a slightly larger can of 15 oz and it works super too)
- Add a Heavy Spoon of Knorr Caldo de Tomato or Pollo (your choice - I use Tomate)
- Bring to a boil - throw in the sliced onions, and Zucchini (if you choose)
- Make the meatballs - stir together the ground beef with the rice, eggs, 1 - 2 tsp Cumin, Diced Onions and Diced Tomatoes.
- Mix those meatballs well and form into balls. I used 1 1/2 lb Ground Beef and made 20-25 meatballs.
- Set those meatballs on a plate.
- Carefully drop each meatball into the Dutch Oven. If you have too many to fit, do what you can fit and add the rest as the first batch cooks.
- As the mixture boils you'll want to add 1 can of Chicken Broth, and continue to cook.
- The meatballs may fall apart (slightly) - that is expected.
- Ladle into Soup Bowls - you can opt to add the cilantro to each bowl or to the pot as a whole, whatever is more desired.
- Add salt to taste - if you prefer to salt as it cooks, or each individual bowl based on preference.
Please see my disclosure policy.
- Recipe | Copycat Crock Pot Mexican Bean Dip
- Peanut Butter $.99 at Fry’s + 20 Peanut Butter Recipes
- National Pie Day | 14 Pie Recipes from Chocolate to Peanut Butter, Banana & More
- 28 Easy Crock Pot Chicken Recipes