If you are looking for a healthy alternative to commercial toothpaste, look no further – this recipe for homemade toothpaste works incredible and is easy to put together!
Believe it or not, your body does need those extra additives in your toothpaste such as fluoride, carrageenan, fluoride, and triclosan… your teeth can look fabulous with even the most simple ingredients.
Her toothpaste is made of 3 basic items – you may just have in your cabinet:
- Coconut Oil – Contains antibacterial / antimicrobial Properties (due to it’s high lauric acid content)
- Baking Soda – which works to neutralize the bacteria in your mouth, as well as whiten teeth
- Essential Oils (Peppermint) – Great for supporting healthy breath and gums, an overall staple for oral health.
This toothpaste may take some time to adjust to – feel free to change up the flavor and use more exciting flavors such as Orange Essential Oil (for your kids), or even Tangerine Essential Oil.
Homemade Coconut Oil Toothpaste
- In a glass or stainless steel bowl, combine the Baking Soda, Coconut Oil and Peppermint Essential Oil.
- Mix until well blended.
- Store in a small, glass jar.
When using, we don’t recommend “dipping” your toothbrush in, but instead use a wood popsicle stick to apply a small amount on your toothbrush. You want to avoid accumulating water in the jars as the Coconut Oil will become rancid.
Do you have a favorite recipe for homemade toothpaste?